Visualisations

Welcome Forums nodegoat user forum Visualisations

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  alicesf 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

alice

Hi,

I’m having some trouble with visualisations.
    How do i select multiple objects for a visualisation (geographic or social)? Click on select/Multiselect? Doesn’t work.
    It would be a good idea to have some info on visualisations on the Nodegoat FAQ.
    Thanks

Alice

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Hi Alice,

Thanks for your question! For the visualisation you don’t need to use the Select/Multiselect tick boxes. You only use them to merge/delete a number of objects.

To make a selection of objects you want to visualise you use the filter functionalities via the funnel-icon (just above any list of objects). Here you can specify a certain date range, location, or any other variable that is available in you data.

Does this help you?

ps: In the near future we hope to publish a number of video tutorials which will also deal with the visualisation functionalities.

alice

Ok. Not really!
    I have to confess i’m having some trouble with filters too! 🙂 Most of the time it just says “no results”. Or it selects some objects and not others and i don’t understand why.
    There are many small septs in between i don’t get. For example in type “person” it appear a name field with with a multiple choice:” *, a*, *a, what is the meaning of each one of these symbols? “*” means all?

How do i do a filter that select everything? Every object within a type?

However, i’m having trouble with simple one object visualisation too. 🙂
    For example in one objects (Person > Guedes) i see the data on geographic and social visualisation well and on another i just can’t see anything (for example Person > Maia). The data is similiar. What could be the reason for that?

Video tutorials are a very good news! And i just can’t wait.
    Thanks.

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Hi Alice,

If you don’t filter anything, the visualisation will visualise all available objects by means of their sub-objects. As you identified correctly, the person ‘Maia’ doesn’t show up in the visualisation. This is due to the fact that this person has an irregular date in a sub-object ‘Post’: Date Start: 6-6-, Date End 3-3-. In another topic on the forum you’ll see which formats you can use for dates. Once you fix this date you can visualise Maia and also all the persons together.

As for filtering on names or strings in object descriptions, * checks if the name or string contains your entered filter value, a* checks if the name or strings begins with your entered filter value, *a checks if the name or strings ends with your entered filter value, and = checks if the name or strings has an exact match with your entered filter value.

In your case you can also use the filter to specify a certain period or a location to get a specific selection of persons.

Does this do the trick?

alice

Hi,

Well, today it seems to be working like that (if i don’t filter i visualise everything) but normally if i don’t apply a filter it just says: …0 object…. Could that be from the server, the internet connection or something like that?

Thanks very much for spotting the error on Maia. It was a typing error. Sometimes it happens when i press “enter” after typing the date and i just didn’t saw this one. Its working fine now! 🙂

I just noticed that if a subobject doesn’t have a date/period (or just a end date) it doesn’t appear on visualisation.
    So, everything should have at least a starting date, right?

Thank you so much! I’m looking forward to see the tutorials!
    All the best

Alice

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Basically, you always depart from the objects you’ve selected last.

Nothing selected = all objects
    Applied filter = all matched objects
    Specific object (object view or edit) = only that object

The objects in the selection are subsequently extended with whatever you’ve selected in the scope (see the visualisation settings, next to the visualisation buttons).

The same also applies for the export functionalities.

The visualisations run in their core on the subobjects, so you’re right that you need at least a date and a location.

alice

Ok. Thanks a million!
    I must say that I tried some data with only a ending date and it wasn’t regarded in visualisation. Only when i enter a starting date did the data appear on the map. That’s why it seemed to me that visualisation needs not just a “date” but a starting date.
    I think it would be great if it could be any date. Because in many things, for example education, it much easier to know when someone finished their degree then when they started.

alicesf

Hi,

I’m having problems with visualisations…again.Sorry.
    I can’t understand why but i have a type “person” that i just can’t visualize all.
    If select one person it works if i don’t select, to be able to visualize all, just doesn’t work.
    On other types it works fine.
    I reset all filters and everything i could remember.
    Thanks in advance. Alice

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Hi! It seems that the date in one sub-object of the object of the person that has ‘ID in Excel database 164’, is incomplete. That should fix it! 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  nodegoat.

alicesf

THANK YOU.
    It did fix it. What a stupid mistake!
    I didn’t realize that a small mistake could on one could have effect on the visualisation of the group.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Network analysis in the historical disciplines