Welcome Forums nodegoat user forum Reversed Classification

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Leonardo 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi,

First of all, let me say that i’m just trying Nodegoat for some days now, however i must congratulate the Lab 1100 because, for now, it seems like it’s very user-friendly!
    Ok. Now, my problem:
    In the project im trying to “built/design” I need to quickly separate military from civil personnel (in data and visually).
    First i thought just to do a true or false field but then i thought the best would be to tried to create a field of “reverse classification”.
    If i understood correctly in practice, i can use it to establish a filter like: if “person x” studied in “educational institution = to Military Academy” then “person x = militar”
    However when i tried to do it (in the category part) i got:
    Category
    Classify with: i choose type and then educational institution
    name: Custom or custom + classification

It is in this last line that i have doubts, what Custom referes to?
    Thanks in advance
    Alice

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Good question! In this case, ‘Custom’ refers to names you want to use for categories in this reversed classification. If you opt for ‘Custom’ you are free to specify any name for the categories you create. In your case, that could be ‘militar’. If you opt for ‘Custom + classification’, the classification or type that is used in this reversed classification will be shown in the name as well. In your case this would lead to ‘militar (to Military Academy)’.

Obviously, to make use of this reversed classification, you have to include it in an object description in the type that you want to classify (probably ‘Person’).

Does this work for you?

Anonymous

Not sure (yet!) it will work. So, i have one more question.
    You say ” to make use of this reversed classification, you have to include it in an object description in the type that you want to classify (probably ‘Person’)”.
    So now my question is: only in “(type=person):object-description” or it will work also if the data is in “suboject”?
    I ask because i wanted education of a person to be time and space referenced (because is something that can change over time and change your relations over time and space) so i’ve that data on “suboject”.
    (sorry, i’m not sure i’m being very clear…)

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s an excellent use of a reversed classification.

For this you will first create an object description in Person that refers to the reversed classification that you’ve created. Secondly, you go to Data where you can create a category in your newly created reversed classification. When you do this, you see that this category consists of a filter (or multiple filters). This is to ensure the communicative nature of the classification. This filter can filter anything in your Data Design. In your case, you would create a filter that filters all persons on their subobjects in which their education is specified (to see whether they received a military education).

This allows you check time/location specific data in your set and use this to classify persons.

Alternatively, you can also specify a reversed classification in a subobject, but that does not seem to apply on your situation as the classification applies on the person as a whole but is assigned based on time/location specific information.

Anonymous

It sounds easy… but in practice i cannot make it work!
    There is something about classifications (reversed or not), conditions, categories, filters, etc. I’m not fully understanding them. I will look better into the demo’s see if i can get it.
    If not… see you with more question in a couple of days. Nevertheless, thank you very much for the help.

nodegoat
    Keymaster

We had a quick look and we see that the reversed classification itself is not yet enabled in your project (Management), perhaps on purpose? Once enabled you can start adding categories in Data.

As an additional note, the categories entered (or changed) in reversed classifications are applied every 10 minutes.

Anonymous

Uuuuppsss!Yes… you’re absolutely right. It was not on purpose.
    I didn’t realize that everything should be enable or disable in Management.
    Thanks you!

Leonardo

I am just diving into the done by the Stanford Data Visualization Group in prpaeration for Erin’s and my visualization lesson in a couple of weeks. Like most of our tasks, the trick is to get the data in the right format first, but I managed to plug some of my data into the JavaScript and yield results.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.