Referencing

Welcome Forums nodegoat user forum Referencing

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SarahE 1 year ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

SarahE

Dear nodegoat users,

I’m a complete beginner in the world of databases. I work on women biologists and naturalists 1875-1940, and would like to look at the social and geographical spaces in which their work took place thanks to nodegoat. I have a couple of questions:

1. I had started recording these ladies’ publications in a type “Source” with
    Author;Title;Journal;Vol;Place;Year;Pages as object descriptions. As the corpus of sources grew, it became too time-consuming to fill in. Without dismissing the existing type, I created a new object description named “SourceCode” linked to “Type:source” and started entering making objects in Source that became shortcuts for referencing (using as a title “SocBotFran 1915”) : the result is that my sources and my SourceCodes are in the same type:

file:///home/sarah/Bureau/Capture%20du%202016-10-31%2011-41-37.png

file:///home/sarah/Bureau/Capture%20du%202016-10-31%2011-41-37.png

This is probably far from ideal and I wish I had created another type for “SourceCodes”. Is there any way to change this now without having to re-type everything manually?

2. I have tried using the “ver” button in the data entry but I can never see the actual reference once the data is entered. How does this work?

Sorry for my beginners’ questions and probably silly mistakes 🙂

Many thanks in advance,

Sarah

nodegoat
    Keymaster

This should be no problem at all! Two options that you could consider:
    [1] See your type ‘Source’ in a broad perspective so you can include both journal articles as well as journals or references to journals. You could make the nested structure more explicit by adding an additional object description that refers to a classification that you use to specify which kind of source one object is (e.g. ‘article’, ‘journal’, …). For the objects where certain object descriptions are not applicable, you leave them empty. You can then simply filter to get overviews of the sources you would like.
    [2] If you select multiple objects and click the grey ‘multi’ button above the checkboxes, you can change multiple objects by clicking the ‘c’ button. Once you have filtered on a number of objects with a source code, you could change them all at once to enrich them with the missing object descriptions.

The ‘ver’ button allows you to relate objects and its definitions to various sources. They can be used for in-depth source documentation. However, currently you can’t use them in your visualisations and filtering. You can indicate which types you want to use as sources in your project settings.

Does this help you?

SarahE

Thank you, it does indeed help. It turns out what I had done wasn’t that silly after all!
    I might just not use “ver” for the time being.

Have a great day,

Sarah

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Network analysis in the historical disciplines