Question on visualisation and periods

Welcome Forums nodegoat user forum Question on visualisation and periods

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nodegoat 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nuno

Dear colleagues,

I resumed my work on mapping with Nodegoat. I need your help to find out what am I doing wrong. I am working on the Portuguese judicial apparatus and the creation of new posts in the Overseas. For that, I have created a Type (post), with objects (such as name, place, category) and sub-objects (for date of existance of that post, which I defined as period, with a start date and an end date).
    My problem is that, when visualising I see the creation of those posts in the map accurately (the points appear in the due date) but they don’t disappear when they sould (at the dates entered as end of period).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Hmm, we’re not sure what you mean. If you make the time bar small (only a couple of years) and move it around, you should see the points appear and disappear according to the dates of their periods. Or are you referring to objects that have sub-objects with a starting date only?

Could you perhaps give an example of dates that you’ve entered and the point/time frame where they should appear?

Nuno

Precisely. If I move the starting point in the time bar, those points appear and desappear. But when I see the animation with the evolution, those points remain beyond their actual date of existence.

Image 1 is frame is taken from the animation. In 1793 none of the two points we see in Africa should appear, because those posts had been supressed.

Image 1

Image 2 shows that if I set the start date to a later moment, they don’t appear. This shows that the end date is correctly read.

Image 2

But shouldn’t the animation show the suppression of these objects? In other words, when watching the animation, shouldn’t the points disappear after their end dates? What should I do to correct this?

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Okay, we see! By defining a period you tell the visualisation during which period the object is ‘alive’. As long as your time selection touches an object’s date in this period, the object is visualised. So the object only disappears when your time selection falls outside the periods defined for the object (as you rightly illustrate).

This means that when you play the animation, the end of a period does not execute a ‘disappear action’ (since the time selection only grows, it will never go beyond the complete period of your object). A ‘disappear action’ only happens when the time selection is completely beyond (or before) the period of the object. This can be achieved by making the time selection smaller and moving it forward/backward.

Nuno

Thank you for your reply.
    And is there any chance that this platform may develop this feature?
    For my study it will be extremely interesting to observe major changes where large sets of objects are abolished in some places, or some movements of supression and reinstatement of given objects.

nodegoat
    Keymaster

You should be able to achieve this by reducing the time selection to something like 5 or 12 years (and time speed at 1 year) and keep the arrow on the right side of the timeline pressed. This will animate the appearance and disappearance of the posts. Would that suit your needs?

Still, it’s a useful suggestion to play the animation of the movement of the whole timeframe, so we’ll consider adding this functionality.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Network analysis in the historical disciplines