Question on conditions

Welcome Forums nodegoat user forum Question on conditions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nuno 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Nuno

Hello!

I started to use Nodegoat but I am still in an early stage of testing with my own data and try to figure out how to design to accomodate what I had already in my previous database.

I am really impressed with what we can do with Nodegoat and with the way it fits my research.

I am having some difficulty in understanding how to use Conditions. I suppose this should be the way to say that, in visualisation, some data would have a given colour if it matches some criteria (or condition). Is that so? But how do I use it?

I am working with judges. I have created a type for Persons and another one for Judicial Posts. The latter allows me to map the extension and construction of the judicial apparatus. I would like to use a condition so that the nodes that appear in the map, have different colours according to the type of Post. How do I do that?

Thanks in advance and warm congratulations for a really exciting tool

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Good question! Sure, this is possible. This works best by using classifications, but you can also work with strings in your object descriptions. The conditions work exactly as you say and use regular filters to identify condition(s). In case you don’t use a filter, the condition will be applied on every object.

It’s always good to test a filter first, so you see whether the condition you want to make will work. You do this by clicking on the funnel icon in data. In case you filter on strings you could enter ‘smith’ in the object description ‘Last Name’ to find all the people with ‘smith’ in their last name. You can use the different operators to adjust the filter to your needs. In case you want to filter on classifications or types, you can select the applicable object via a quicksearch in the dropdown box or perform a (deeper) filter.

Once you know what you want to filter on, you remove your filters and click on the gear icon next to the name of your current project. Here you can set the conditions that you want to apply within your project. You can use conditions to

• Adjust the way the name of your objects is presented
    • Change the presentation of object descriptions
    • Change the way objects look in visualisations (Highlight).

This last point is what you are looking for. Select ‘object’ from the dropdown menu to apply this condition to the complete object and create the filter you want to use by clicking the blue ‘filter’ button. In the case of highlighting all the people with the name ‘smith’ you would again enter this string in the object description ‘Last Name’ and save the filter. Now you can specify a colour and possibly a name for the legend. Once you have saved this condition, your visualisations will include the specified colours.

Does this work for you?

Nuno

Thank you for this! It worked perfectly.

I have now dots that are in different colours, according to the category of the posts that existed in a given place.

After seeing the result, I would need another explanation. In some places (more important cities, for example), there were different categories of posts present. The visualisation is very clever in representing them, by painting the circle with the different colours of categories present in that place. For my representation of my object, however, it would be great to have those nodes bigger when those places had more posts established in them. Is this possible? To introduce some weight to the dots, according to their value?

Thanks again for your help

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Nuno.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Nuno.

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Excellent!

Currently, the size of the nodes in the geographical visualisation is based on the number of sub-objects that occur on one location. So this also means that the more locations of posts are in one place, the node will be larger. The minimum and maximum size of nodes can be adjusted via the visualisation settings, click the gear icon next to the visualisation buttons and go to the tab ‘Visual’.

There is no option (yet) that allows you to adjust the size of the nodes based on multiple occurrences of conditions on locations.

Nuno

Thank you!

Yes I am starting to get the hang of it. It would be nice if we could set the intervals. In my case, I would be happy to set uneven intervals (like: 1 post, 2 posts, more than 3), but I can get round it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Network analysis in the historical disciplines