Welcome Forums nodegoat user forum Import functionality

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  nodegoat 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Nuno

Hi,

I would like to import data into my project. I have used Access to construct a relational database that has more than 3500 people and more than 15000 related records. In access, of course, records are linked with IDs but I haven’t quite grasp how the import process will work in Nodegoat. I understand that I should import each table as different type but I can’t understand how the ID linkage is understood by Nodegoat.
    Is it possible to republish the instructions you gave above on importing relational data with some screenshots in order to make it easy to follow what needs to be done?

Thanks and, once again, my appreciation to your wonderful tool!

Nuno

Hi again,

Just some information on my database structure so that you may tell me if this is transposable to Nodeagoat.

In Access I have:

– Table Persons (PersonID, Name, picture, date of birth, place of birth, date of death, place of death)
    – Table Posts, with all the available posts where my individuals could serve (PostId, geographical place, short information on the post)
    – Table Career, with all the posts served by an individual (Person Id, PostID, CareerStepID, start date, end date, type of nomination)

It’s a basic relational structure that uses 3 tables to produce a many-to-many relation (an individual may serve several posts; a post may be served by many individuals…)

In Nodegoat I have already imported successfully the Posts table. I tested with a few individuals and the only way I managed to produce what I wanted (networks of career circulation) was to use career steps as a Sub-Object of the Person. Otherwise, when it came to visualisation, the steps would appear atomised, with no relation between them. How do we keep the relation between these sets of recordrs, when importing into Nodegoat?

nodegoat
    Keymaster

That should be no problem! The most important things here are:

1. Import PersonID and PostId to your Person and Post Objects respectively in nodegoat. These IDs are used to establish relationships between Objects while you are importing relational data (e.g. in Object Descriptions called ‘Access Person ID’ and ‘Access Post ID’).
    2. In your Data Model: make sure that you check the check-box ‘Use Description for quick search.’ for the Object Descriptions in which you have stored these IDs (the Object Descriptions ‘Access Person ID’ and ‘Access Post ID’).

You can now first import all the Persons and Posts separately (including their Access IDs). Once these two files have been imported you run a third import that connects People with Posts, using the data from your Career table. In this third import you use PersonID in the Career CSV file to identify persons. Map the column that includes this ID to the Object Description ‘Access Person ID’ and check the check-box ‘Use data from this column to filter similar Objects’ when creating the Import Template. Then, you point the column in your Career CSV file that contains the PostID to the Sub-Object Description in your Person Type that establishes the relationship to Post.

When you run this import template, you select ‘Disallow Object Creation’ and ‘Instantly Append new Sub-Objects’. This will transform every row in your CSV file into a new Sub-Object for a Person with a connection to a Post.

Does this work for you?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.