Welcome Forums nodegoat user forum Half-Siblings

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nodegoat 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Winnerling_Tobias

Is it possible that NodeGoat has problems with half-siblings? I just stumbled across this because I entered two half-brothers, Herman and Zacharias Huber, who share the same father (Ulrik Huber) but not the same mother as they are from the first and second marriage of their father respectively. It seems that it doesn’t recognize that they are in fact related to each other (but perhaps I didn’t ask the right question and so just overlooked it).

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Good question! Seen that family ties between Objects in the Type ‘Person’ are mediated by the Type ‘Family’, we have to add additional depth to show all family ties between Objects in the Type Person in the social visualisation. This can be done by using the scope. In this case, there are two ways to configure the scope: 1: start from the Type Family and 2: start from the Type Person.

1. In the Type Family, open the visualisation settings and set the scope like this:
    nodegoat visualisation settings scope family ties
    This will include the Objects in the Type Person that are related to Objects in the Type Family in your visualisation (via the relation ‘Child of’). In the dropdown menus we have only selected the Object Descriptions we want to use and by means of the checkboxes, we specify which Sub-Objects we want to use.

Your social visualisation will now look like this:
    nodegoat social graph family ties

This already shows you that Herman and Zacharias are related. However, we can also produce a more condensed graph from within the Type Person:

2. In the Type Person, perform a filter to select all persons that yield positive on “Child of [not empty]”, open the visualisation settings and set the scope like this:
    nodegoat visualisation settings scope family ties
    Here, we include all the Objects in the Type Family that are related to Objects in the Type Person in your visualisation (and also limit the Sub-Objects and Object Descriptions we want to include). By ticking the checkbox ‘Collapse’ on the level of the Type Family we collapse these mediating Objects and only show the relations they establish between Objects in the Type Person.

Your social visualisation will now look like this:
    nodegoat social graph family ties

As you can see, nodegoat takes good care of half-siblings 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  nodegoat.

Winnerling_Tobias

Perfect! As I suspected: I just didn’t ask the right questions. Thanks for showing me how to do that!
    By the way, while we are on the topic of families, proxy families without people attached do not work, don’t they? As you can see on the graph, the two Westenbergs are not connected but I know that they are related. The problem is that although the sources I have seen so far state that they are brothers, I don’t know anything about their parents, not even names (I suspect at least the father was also called Westenberg, though ;)). I did set up a proxy family to relate them to each other, but it looks like as if I need to fill that object with proxy parents also. Is this right?

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Well, you already seem to have solved this by means of the placeholder/proxy Families. In the visualisation of Families that you can produce with the aforementioned scope you’ll see that the Westenbergs are in fact connected by this empty family. This relation is not visible in the visualisation from within the Type Person as their parents are not present. You could of course add placeholder persons (like: Unknown Father of Johann & Ernst Westenberg) to recreate these relations.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.