conference and board members

Welcome Forums nodegoat user forum conference and board members

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lukas 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lukas

Hello,
    I would like to have an overview of many different conferences (type 1) with up to 25 members. the same people are in different boards (type 2, 3, 4) and finally they are changing the boards over time.
    if i build a type for conferences and understand every conference as an object, how do i bring in the actors? as subobjects they don’t appear on the visualisation.
    secondly: how do i design the subobjects then without location, just names?
    thirdly: the three tutorials on youtube a great!
    thanks for help!

nodegoat
    Keymaster

To achieve this, you can create 3 types: Person, Board, and Conference. In the Boards you can specify members using sub-objects that enables you to have them shift positions through time. The same goes for the Conferences, here the delegates are specified in sub-objects as well so you could also specify the roles they had at the conference and whether they attended the full conference or only a part of it.

The following Design and Data screenshots illustrate this.

Board, Design:

Board, Data:

Conference, Design:

Conference, Data:

To avoid having to enter the locations for each member or delegate over and over again, you can set the location references of the sub-objects for Conference delegates and Board members to the location of their object. To do this, you set the location reference to Board and location/Conference and location, lock this, and select ‘Object’ in the subsequent drop-down menu. Like so:

Board, Design:

Board, Data:

Conference, Design:

Conference, Data:

To inspect this design further, you can login to nodegoat.net with the username ‘demo_conference’ and password ‘demo’. There you also see how you can include professional relations. In the type Conference you can open the scope ‘Conference -> Person -> Board’ in the visualisation settings (gear icon next to the visualisation buttons, click the blue button ‘store’ next to ‘Scope’) to visualise conferences, people and boards. The scope ‘Conference -> Person (collapsed) -> Board’ shows only the conferences and the boards.

Does this help you?

Lukas

thank you for your help, and the demo-account!
    allow me another question on that:
    if there are “administration” and “political organisation” which organize boards and conferences as further “types”, how do i then manage the description in the subobject of the persons, now that i have to choose one of several types?

nodegoat
    Keymaster

Do you mean to make two relations to two different types within one sub-object? You can achieve that by making two (or more) sub-object descriptions per sub-object that all relate to different types, and use the one that is applicable.

If this information is specific to the persons (people representing an administration/organisation), you could also save it in the object (in object descriptions or sub-objects) of the person, instead of storing all this information in the conference participation sub-object. Using the Scope (see the Visualisation Settings) you can then include these relations in the visualisation of the conferences as well.

Lukas

thank you so much for your help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Network analysis in the historical disciplines